Nooksack Valley Construction Update
Once voters approved the bond issue in February to update elementary education facilities, Nooksack Valley Schools staff got to work on moving the construction projects forward. The following is an update on what has transpired since February and what students and families can expect to happen next with the new Sumas Elementary and updates to both Everson and Nooksack elementary schools:
- Nooksack Valley Schools hired Zervas Group as the project architect, with Terry Brown as the lead. Brown was the same architect who led the most recent NVS projects at the middle school and high school.
- Construction Services Group was brought on as the district’s construction management firm. Tex Ladish will serve as the lead, the same firm and individual who oversaw the most recent projects.
- The district has completed the sale of all bonds. Mark Johnson, superintendent, says the sales market was favorable and they sold all the bonds at one time instead of splitting the sales. The district also achieved a lower tax rate than the one expected and communicated to voters during the election.
- NVS remains in the midst of the design phase, which includes educational specifications on the projects. The projects should go out to construction bid in late spring 2020, with construction starting in May or June 2020.
- Johnson expects construction to finish in summer 2021, readying the projects for the 2021-22 school year.
“We want to thank the voters for saying ‘yes’ to these needed projects,” Johnson says. “We are fully committed to being good stewards of these funds and completing these projects as promised.”