The WIAA continues to move toward a Feb. 1 return to high school sports and Nooksack Valley Schools is planning to allow students to practice in a modified format.
Starting Jan. 11, modified team skill activities for all athletic programs can again happen, as students will return to in-person learning. All activities, protocols and guidelines will follow state directives, including the number of athletes per square feet, sanitizing, screening, temperature checks and more. Athletes and coaches will also wear masks at all times. This team skill activity timeline will conclude on Jan. 23.
Returning to competition will look different. Some changes:
• Participants will come to the event dressed and ready to compete, not using locker rooms.
• The visiting team will head directly from the competition area to the bus, not using a locker room.
• Masks will likely be required for everyone, including athletes.
• Spectators will be minimal, if allowed at all.
• If spectators are allowed, admission would be free and seating areas would be arranged for social distancing and keeping the two participating schools separated.
• There will be no concessions.
• Schedules will be reduced to 70% of normal (a typical 20-game season would now be 14 games).
• The WIAA still needs to approve final plans.
Fall sports currently plan to operate in February and March, spring sports from the end of March into the second week of May and winter sports from mid-May to June 20.